During this time of strict social distancing in New York, it is important to keep your mind active in ways that you may not be used to. Here are a few tips you can use over the next few weeks while we all work together to stay inside to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus.
1) Social distancing does not mean emotional distancing; use technology to connect widely;
2) Clear routines and schedule, seven days a week, at home—don’t go overboard;
3) Exercise and physical activity, daily if possible;
4) Learning and intellectual engagement—books, reading, limited internet;
5) Positive family time—working to counter negativity;
6) Alone time, outside if possible, but inside too; but remember, don’t isolate;
7) Focused meditation and relaxation;
8) Remember the things that you really enjoy doing, that you can do in this situation, and find a way to do them;
9) Limit exposure to TV and internet news; choose small windows and then find ways to cleanse yourself of it;
10) Bathe daily, if possible, to reinforce the feeling of cleanliness.